Well, two days ago iOS4 was out. Two days later dev-team has released Pwnage Tool 4.01 to jailbrake your iPhone 3GS.
First make sure that:
- If you have a Jailbroken iPhone 3GS with the OLD BOOTROM and you DID NOT use Spirit to jailbreak then you can create the ipsw with PwnageTool 4.0 and restore with your jailbroken recovery mode.
- If you have an iPhone 3GS with the NEW BOOTROM this is NOT supported by PwnageTool 4.01
This is what you have to do:
- Download Official iPhone iOS 4 for iPhone 3GS here (official from Apple).
- Download Pwnage Tool 4.01 from any of this locations:
- Download iTunes 9.2 (you can do that but opening iTunes and look for upgrades)
- Now run the PwnageTool. If it is in the same directory of the image ipsw image you downloaded in the step 1, then it will see that it the image to use. Just use Simple Mode and this image. This will create a new image that by default will be placed on your desktop. You can then close the PwnageTool.
- Now before you upgrade your iphone, you could consider installing from Cydia AptBackup (from BigBoss). That will know which Cydia apps you have installed and in a later stage restore them.
- Now, back up your phone, by connecting it to iTunes
- Switch off your phone by holding on the top button and sliding to switch it off.
- Make sure that it is connected it to the mac with the image you created and iTunes is open. Now hold the top and home button to enter into recovery mode.
- iTuenes will tell you it is in recovery mode. Now you have to hold the Option key and click on restore. That will allow you to select the image on your desktop.
- That’s it. The restore upgrade will not take a lot of time. What takes time is once you have iOS4 to restore you latest config.
If you have gone to the 10 steps you should have an iPhone 3GS with iOS4 and after more than an hour (in my cases) the same you had before.
Now you go to Cydia and install AptBackup, click on restore and voila, all your Cydia apps.
I had a problem though. My iPhone had a safe mode due to a problem with an app in Cydia. The app in question was MyFi. I had to remove it and now everything is OK.